Intimacy in a relationship is being able to openly share your thoughts and emotions with your partner. It’s about being vulnerable and allowing someone else to experience your feelings, hopes, and dreams. It’s the cornerstone of any healthy relationship and provides a unique and powerful connection between partners. While the importance of emotional intimacy is widely recognised, the role of physical intimacy is equally significant, however, this can be impacted during the natural process of menopause that all women experience.
If you want to learn more about menopause and how a woman’s body changes during this time, check out our 'body changes through menopause' blog.
Fostering Sexual Intimacy in Relationships
In romantic and sexual relationships, sexual intimacy usually involves trust and vulnerability, leading to emotional and spiritual intimacy and creating a healthy and long-lasting relationship. There are many factors that play a role in the importance of sexual intimacy in relationships.
- Sex fosters a unique bond between partners that goes beyond the physical act. It strengthens emotional connections, providing a sense of closeness and mutual understanding. Regular physical intimacy can contribute to a deepening sense of trust and vulnerability within the relationship.
- Healthy sexual communication is a vital aspect of any relationship. It encourages open dialogue about desires, boundaries, and expectations. Effective communication in the bedroom often translates into improved communication in other areas of the relationship.
- Engaging in sexual activity releases endorphins and reduces stress hormones, contributing to overall well-being. In the midst of life's challenges, sex can serve as a natural stress-reliever, creating a positive feedback loop that enhances the relationship.
- Sex has been linked to various health benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, better sleep, and a boosted immune system. Beyond the physical benefits, a satisfying sex life positively influences emotional health, promoting feelings of happiness and satisfaction.
The Decline of Intimacy Through Menopause
As couples navigate the various stages of their relationship, one inevitable milestone that can impact physical intimacy is menopause. Typically occurring in women between the ages of 45 and 55, menopause marks the end of the reproductive phase, and while it is a natural process of aging, it also brings about hormonal changes that can influence a woman’s sexual experience. While older adults still have sex, statistics say that about 40% rarely have sex in a six-month period, and in most cases, this is due to menopause.
- Hormonal changes. Menopause is characterised by a decline in oestrogen levels, which can lead to vaginal dryness and thinning of the vaginal walls. These changes may result in discomfort during sex and a decreased libido.
- Mood swings and fatigue. Fluctuations in hormone levels can contribute to mood swings and increased fatigue, affecting a woman's interest in and enjoyment of sexual activity.
- Body image. Menopause can bring about changes in body composition, potentially impacting a woman's self-esteem and body image. This, in turn, may affect her comfort level and willingness to engage in sexual activity.
- Communication and understanding. Open communication between partners becomes especially crucial during the menopausal transition. Understanding each other's needs, concerns, and being patient can help navigate the challenges that arise.
How MonaLisa Can Help
In the realm of women's health, MonaLisa Touch has emerged as a groundbreaking treatment that not only addresses physical discomfort but also rekindles the flame of intimacy. This innovative procedure utilises laser technology to restore vaginal health, providing relief for a range of conditions and significantly enhancing sexual well-being.
MonaLisa Touch is a non-invasive, relatively pain-free, and outpatient laser treatment designed to rejuvenate vaginal tissues. The procedure is designed to stimulate the body’s regenerative processes to create more hydrated and healthy cells. By doing this, the acidity of the vaginal environment is increased to natural levels, improving the function and health of the vagina. This targeted approach helps address common issues that women may face during menopause.
- Vaginal atrophy. As women age, hormonal changes (especially during menopause) can lead to a thinning of the vaginal walls. MonaLisa Touch promotes the regeneration of collagen and elastin fibres, restoring tissue integrity and alleviating symptoms of vaginal atrophy.
- Dryness and irritation. Hormonal imbalances or certain medical conditions can cause vaginal dryness, leading to discomfort during intercourse. MonaLisa Touch helps increase natural lubrication by promoting the production of moisture-retaining cells, enhancing overall vaginal health.
- Childbirth and aging can contribute to a loss of vaginal tone and laxity. MonaLisa Touch stimulates collagen production, tightening and toning the vaginal walls. This can lead to increased sensation and satisfaction during sexual activity.
MonaLisa Touch is a revolutionary treatment that goes beyond addressing physical discomfort. By restoring optimal vaginal health and alleviating pain, this non-hormonal laser therapy helps improve sexual sensitivity and pleasure, leading to a boost in confidence and self-esteem, and increased libido.
If you're facing challenges related to vaginal health, MonaLisa Touch could be the key to unlocking a more fulfilling and enjoyable intimate life. The treatment is available at Northside Gynaecology and involves a consultation with our principal specialist Dr Archna Saraswat, who will determine your best next steps. From there, if MonaLisa Touch is your most effective option, you’ll be booked in for an appointment to see either Alia, who has a Bachelor of Nursing, specialising in MonaLisa Touch or our sexual health nurse Jodie, who has a Bachelor of Nursing, specialising in MonaLisa Touch and a Certificate in Sexual and Reproductive Health.
Call us today for more information and to get started on your journey to a more satisfied and healthy intimate life.